Skip to main content

Whole 30 :: Week 2 :: Insights & Recipes

We did it! We went another week without eating dairy, grains, or added sugar. The junk food eater in me was having some serious cravings this week, and I was a little grumpy, but we made it. I did not cave. And my mood is improving. Sugar withdrawal really is a thing. I didn't know how much sugar I was consuming on a regular basis, but almost everything packaged sneaks it in there, so I was eating quite a bit.

Insights from this week...

Your friends, most of them, they don't want you to eat healthy. Most people think that eating healthy is smack dab in the middle of the no fun zone. Other friends, they are super encouraging and text or message you with fun new recipes to try and encouraging words. Those friends are rad.

Instagram peeps LOVE pictures of food. The #whole30 and #paleo community on Instagram is strong, and they are very encouraging. I never knew you could feel so encouraged by complete strangers.

I felt lots of temptation this past week. Yummy smells get to me. When I'm hungry, I'm at my weakest. I have to bring approved snacks everywhere.

Never assume a particular food will be at a social engagement. For example, not every party has a fruit and veggie tray, and not all burgers are made equally. Pack accordingly.

I prefer fruit bowls over scrambles for breakfast.

Now for the fun part... The recipes.






Day 8
Breakfast: Scramble with ground turkey, apples, red pepper, eggs, onion, and spinach seasoned with McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. Accompanied by some yummy blueberries picked at Rusty Plow Farm in Enumclaw, WA.
Lunch: Sirloin patty, topped with homemade guacamole, sandwiched between romaine lettuce.
Dinner: Grilled tilapia seasoned with parsley, oregano, thyme, smoked paprika, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, & pepper laying on a bed of cauliflower rice with a side of mango. The recipe can be found here. We subbed tilapia for the mani mahi.

Day 9
Breakfast: Fruit bowl on the go, with banana, blueberries, chopped cashews, and a scoop of almond butter.
Lunch: Grilled sirloin patty (pre-made on Day 8), topped with avocado, cucumber chips, and mustard, sandwiched between a piece of romaine lettuce.
Dinner: Chicken breast breaded with coconut flour, and seasoned with an orange mango sauce on top of leftover cauliflower rice from Day 8. The recipe for the knock off "orange chicken" can be found here.









Day 10
Breakfast: Yams fried in coconut oil, seasoned with Italian Seasoning, mixed with avocado, and served with a sliced peach. SO GOOD!
Lunch: Sirloin patty (pre-made on Day 8), topped with cucumber slices, hard boiled egg, and mustard, sandwiched between romaine lettuce.
Dinner: Grilled chicken, avocado, cucumber, and sweet potato on a bed of spinach, topped with tahini sauce. The recipe that inspired me can be found here.

Day 11
Breakfast: 2 eggs, scrambled, served with a yummy peach picked from our neighbor's farm.
Lunch: Spinach topped with approved deli turkey that I found at Costco, cucumbers, hard boiled egg, and Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo. This stuff is delicious. You'll be able to see that I think that by my next few days of lunch :)
Dinner: Crockpot shredded beef with a side of mashed sweet potato. I subbed apple cider vinegar for the Worcestershire, since it's not compliant. Also, I probably won't go the mashed route again. It just wasn't as filling.










Day 12
Breakfast: Fruit bowl with banana, peach, blueberries, apples, cashews, and a scoop of almond butter.
Lunch: Spinach topped with shredded beef leftover from Day 11, hard boiled egg, cucumber, and chipotle lime mayo.
Dinner: Grilled salmon with mango salsa on a bed of cauliflower rice with fresh green beans picked from our garden as a side. We tried this one last week and liked it so much that we had it when we had friends over for dinner too!

Day 13
Breakfast: Fruit bowl with chopped cashews, cinnamon, almond butter, ground flax seed, blueberries, strawberries, pears, and banana.
Lunch: Spinach salad with hard boiled egg, cucumber, deli turkey I found at Costco, & chipotle lime mayo.
Dinner: Leftover salmon, mango salsa, & cauliflower rice from Day 12.

Day 14
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs and deli turkey with a side of avocado.
Lunch: Spinach salad with shredded beef leftover from Day 11, cucumber, black olives, and chipotle lime mayo. I told you I LOVE the chipotle lime mayo. It's amazing. Thinking you don't like mayo? It's main ingredient is avocado oil.
Dinner: Sirloin patty on a bed of cauliflower rice, topped with avocado and mango salsa leftover from Day 12.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're teeing it up with a third!

On August 16th, 2013, we announced to all of our Facebook friends, that we are expecting our first child!  We couldn't be more excited!  If I'm being completely honest though, I am mildly terrified as well.  I'm not that "let's just see what happens" kind of gal.  I'm a planner.  I'm an observational learner.  I'm a realist.  I know that babies aren't all cooing and cuddlie with those cute faces moms catch in photos.  Don't get me wrong, they are those things, but they are also screaming without words (so you have no idea what they need), poop that escapes their diaper & goes halfway up their torso, & sleepless nights.  I think that's part of the reason we waited so long to try and conceive.  Babies are a whirlwind of change, and I needed to wait until I was old enough to except that challenge.  I know that some moms will see this and say, "It's different when they're your own child," or, "The screami

American Foursquare Renovation Before & After

Growing up, I attended private school in North Tacoma and completely romanticized the area. It has gorgeous views, amazing architecture, and just that classy old world charm. Fast forward to when I was in college and met my husband. I told him about all of the loveliness that North Tacoma offered, and aside from agreeing to get married there, he just didn't see it. When I said "North Tacoma," he saw "South Tacoma." For anyone that knows those two areas, they couldn't differ more. Over the past 10+ years, I have tried to win him over. Well guess what, I finally did! Together, with an investor, he snagged up this gem before I ever saw it. And when I walked in for the first time, I was all heart eyes. A classic American Foursquare, with that great foyer and staircase. Beautiful hardwoods throughout, and just charming. Obviously I was looking through my rose colored glasses, because even though the bones were great, she definitely needed a little sparkle and s

Baby Genius...

These are not my words. We do not personally call our daughter a "Baby Genius." To us, she is just our spunky one and a half year old that has brightened up this journey we call life. She is awesome, and we feel so blessed to be her parents. Other people. Other people have called her a "Baby Genius," and have asked what we've done to make her so smart. We are happy to share our daily routines and habits with you, but let's be real, each one of us is "fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:14), and that looks so different in each of our lives. Some of us are verbal communicators, some of us are physical communicators, some of us just plain don't like to communicate, and that goes for babies too. So, I will share with you what our life looks like right now, but please hear that I am not saying this is the perfect way, the best way, or the only way. We don't have any special credentials or degrees.What I am saying, is that this is our firs