Skip to main content

Bye Bye Paci

We did it! Our now 2 year old no longer uses her pacifier for sleeping. I was SO scared of how awful the nap-times and nights would be without that little soother, but let me just tell you, it went much better than I expected! In case you're curious as to what worked for us, here is a little breakdown of what we did.

I should mention, that since Miss P was about 3 months old, we only used a pacifier in the car when the crying WOULD. NOT. STOP., when we were on stroller rides, and for sleeping times. Right when she would wake up, we would put her pacifier back in her crib. I wanted to be in this habit from the beginning. It was a personal thing. She is super verbal, so by the time she was 20ish months, as she was getting ready to rest, she would say, "I need paci, and flat pet, and blanket." Because of this routine, we were even more nervous to sever the ties with her paci, but let me tell you, it was none too soon! At her 2-year old well check visit, her doctor asked us if she sucked her thumb or used a pacifier, because he noticed that it was starting to affect her teeth. Yikes! We should probably start saving for braces now. Anywho, here are the steps we took...

STEP 1: Set a time that you are going to do it, and communicate it to your little. For example, about 2 weeks before we were going to do it, I would tell her, "When you turn 2, you are a big girl, and you don't get to have your paci anymore. So, after your birthday party, no more paci." She would say it back to me occasionally.

STEP 2: Stick to your plan! Okay, okay, I admit that I didn't stick to the exact date. She is my baby, and I was scared. But, 2 days after her party, I went into her room in the morning to get her out of bed, and she said to me, while holding her paci in her hand, "After my birthday party, I don't get to have my paci anymore." Talk about feeling held accountable! If I don't stand by what I say with the little things now, she will only push more boundaries later, so that night, was THE night.

STEP 3: Have your little put the pacifier in the garbage themselves. She put it in, and then went to take it back out. I took it out and put it on the counter, and then when she asked for it that night, I cut the nipple in half with scissors, and told her that when she put it into the garbage can, it broke. She was SO sad. There were lots of tears the first night. I rocked her, let her pick a stuffed animal to sleep in her crib with her and laid her down. I went back in about every 5-10 minutes to reassure her and love on her. The first night, it took her about 30 minutes to fall asleep, when she usually falls asleep in 5-10 minutes. But guess what, she didn't wake up once! She slept through the night without it! This lasted for 3 nights total, and then no more tears! Only 3 nights! Nap-time was a different story, it took about 4 days of naps for no more tears.

We have been done with the pacifier for one whole week! Now when people ask her how old she is, she says, "2. And I don't get my paci anymore, because I'm a big girl." It's super cute, and kind of sad. I would say that this has been her first real growing pain. Can you believe that!?! We start feeling the pains of growing up around the age of 2. Lame.

To Our Big Girl,

We love you SO incredibly much! You are going to be a fantastic big sister; you actually already are. You are strong and smart. You are silly and beautiful. You hold us accountable to pray when we are in a hurry, and help us to stand by our word. We are so proud to call you our daughter. Thank you for being you.

Love,
Daddy & Momma

To My Friend -- If you're in the trenches, I want to cheer you on! You got this! You are doing what is best for your little! And a little tip, if you don't want to give in to the crying, get rid of all of the pacifiers immediately. Leave no temptation behind.

This is the type of pacifier that we used. I've heard that babies can be picky, but this is the only kind that we tried and it worked for us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're teeing it up with a third!

On August 16th, 2013, we announced to all of our Facebook friends, that we are expecting our first child!  We couldn't be more excited!  If I'm being completely honest though, I am mildly terrified as well.  I'm not that "let's just see what happens" kind of gal.  I'm a planner.  I'm an observational learner.  I'm a realist.  I know that babies aren't all cooing and cuddlie with those cute faces moms catch in photos.  Don't get me wrong, they are those things, but they are also screaming without words (so you have no idea what they need), poop that escapes their diaper & goes halfway up their torso, & sleepless nights.  I think that's part of the reason we waited so long to try and conceive.  Babies are a whirlwind of change, and I needed to wait until I was old enough to except that challenge.  I know that some moms will see this and say, "It's different when they're your own child," or, "The screami

American Foursquare Renovation Before & After

Growing up, I attended private school in North Tacoma and completely romanticized the area. It has gorgeous views, amazing architecture, and just that classy old world charm. Fast forward to when I was in college and met my husband. I told him about all of the loveliness that North Tacoma offered, and aside from agreeing to get married there, he just didn't see it. When I said "North Tacoma," he saw "South Tacoma." For anyone that knows those two areas, they couldn't differ more. Over the past 10+ years, I have tried to win him over. Well guess what, I finally did! Together, with an investor, he snagged up this gem before I ever saw it. And when I walked in for the first time, I was all heart eyes. A classic American Foursquare, with that great foyer and staircase. Beautiful hardwoods throughout, and just charming. Obviously I was looking through my rose colored glasses, because even though the bones were great, she definitely needed a little sparkle and s

Baby Genius...

These are not my words. We do not personally call our daughter a "Baby Genius." To us, she is just our spunky one and a half year old that has brightened up this journey we call life. She is awesome, and we feel so blessed to be her parents. Other people. Other people have called her a "Baby Genius," and have asked what we've done to make her so smart. We are happy to share our daily routines and habits with you, but let's be real, each one of us is "fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:14), and that looks so different in each of our lives. Some of us are verbal communicators, some of us are physical communicators, some of us just plain don't like to communicate, and that goes for babies too. So, I will share with you what our life looks like right now, but please hear that I am not saying this is the perfect way, the best way, or the only way. We don't have any special credentials or degrees.What I am saying, is that this is our firs