Skip to main content

The "G" Word

Grace. This five letter word packs a big punch! It is what the Christian faith is based on. There are many verses in the Bible that mention it, and there are thousands of songs written about it. As a matter of fact, quite possibly the most well known folk hymn, written by John Newton, was about "Amazing Grace."

So, what exactly is grace? In the most basic definition, grace is a free gift, that we did absolutely nothing to earn. God himself hands it out to us, all we have to do is accept it from Him.  How cool is that!?! It's even better than those awesome gifts with purchase at the Clinique counter, because you don't have to buy anything!  I could tell you about grace in the past, but until we had our sweet daughter, I couldn't put a finger on what grace looked like in my personal life. And grace is a big deal.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift from God -- not by works, so that no one can boast." -- Ephesians 2:8-9

Grace is not (a) gift from God, but it is (the) gift from God. The definition for the word "the" in the "Concise Oxford American Dictionary" that I think explains its placement in this verse the best is;
"used to refer to a person, place, or thing that is unique: the Queen, the Mona Lisa"
Grace is THE gift from God. Grace is what my whole belief in the afterlife is based on. But, when you feel like you're a "good person," it's sometimes hard to see grace, because you don't see how you really need it. God is so patient with me though, and He revealed grace to me in a new way, and made it real to me when my daughter was born.

My daughter fits perfectly into our family. She is sweet and smilely. She is easy going (for the most part ;)). She is beautiful. I don't deserve her. Even if I could earn her, I didn't. In Matthew 7:13-14 it says, "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate, and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." In high school and into my early twenties, I was going through the wide gate with the "many." I did not treat my body in a way that honored God. I did not have relationships that honored God. And I knew it. But God, being so full of grace, forgiveness, love, and patience, gave me the most awesome little girl. He used the same body that I mistreated, and grew in it the most precious little human. Amazing grace. God has given me some great gifts in my lifetime, but nothing compares to grace. And wanna know what's super cool, He is extending the same gift to you! Take it. You will never regret it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're teeing it up with a third!

On August 16th, 2013, we announced to all of our Facebook friends, that we are expecting our first child!  We couldn't be more excited!  If I'm being completely honest though, I am mildly terrified as well.  I'm not that "let's just see what happens" kind of gal.  I'm a planner.  I'm an observational learner.  I'm a realist.  I know that babies aren't all cooing and cuddlie with those cute faces moms catch in photos.  Don't get me wrong, they are those things, but they are also screaming without words (so you have no idea what they need), poop that escapes their diaper & goes halfway up their torso, & sleepless nights.  I think that's part of the reason we waited so long to try and conceive.  Babies are a whirlwind of change, and I needed to wait until I was old enough to except that challenge.  I know that some moms will see this and say, "It's different when they're your own child," or, "The screami

American Foursquare Renovation Before & After

Growing up, I attended private school in North Tacoma and completely romanticized the area. It has gorgeous views, amazing architecture, and just that classy old world charm. Fast forward to when I was in college and met my husband. I told him about all of the loveliness that North Tacoma offered, and aside from agreeing to get married there, he just didn't see it. When I said "North Tacoma," he saw "South Tacoma." For anyone that knows those two areas, they couldn't differ more. Over the past 10+ years, I have tried to win him over. Well guess what, I finally did! Together, with an investor, he snagged up this gem before I ever saw it. And when I walked in for the first time, I was all heart eyes. A classic American Foursquare, with that great foyer and staircase. Beautiful hardwoods throughout, and just charming. Obviously I was looking through my rose colored glasses, because even though the bones were great, she definitely needed a little sparkle and s

Baby Genius...

These are not my words. We do not personally call our daughter a "Baby Genius." To us, she is just our spunky one and a half year old that has brightened up this journey we call life. She is awesome, and we feel so blessed to be her parents. Other people. Other people have called her a "Baby Genius," and have asked what we've done to make her so smart. We are happy to share our daily routines and habits with you, but let's be real, each one of us is "fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:14), and that looks so different in each of our lives. Some of us are verbal communicators, some of us are physical communicators, some of us just plain don't like to communicate, and that goes for babies too. So, I will share with you what our life looks like right now, but please hear that I am not saying this is the perfect way, the best way, or the only way. We don't have any special credentials or degrees.What I am saying, is that this is our firs