Skip to main content

10 YEARS. 3,652 DAYS. 87,658 HOURS.

5,259,000 MINUTES. 315,600,000 SECONDS. 
2 BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTERS. 
COUNTLESS MEMORIES. MANY VACATIONS.
HUGS & KISSES. GRIEF & JOY. GRUMPINESS & FUN.
A WHOLE LOT OF LOVE.

24 more days, and all of those numbers are official. I am so incredibly thankful for the life that God has favored us with. 10 years. I truly am overjoyed to make it to this milestone. In a society that puts little value on a lasting marriage, we choose to celebrate marriage! We celebrated by recreating some of our wedding photos at Annie Wright School, where we tied the knot 10 years ago. And can I just tell you, it was incredibly fun, brought back so many memories, and gave me some warm fuzzies for my hubby all over again! Our original wedding photos are credited to the artistic work of Christy Pelland, and our recreated photos, plus bonus family photos, are credited to Miss Abby of Abby Joy Photography.

Whenever I get asked marriage advice, I always say something to the tune of, "Out serve each other daily. Communication is key. And, count to ten before responding to something that has irritated you." I agree with all of this advice, but I wouldn't say I started there as a newly wed.

A better question is, what has made our marriage work? 
One reason our marriage works is because we have God as the foundation. Whenever we waiver in how to respond to life, not only do we have this great life manual that has been around for thousands of years (the Bible), we have an awesome support system through our church community. We have people that genuinely love us, and love our children incredibly well. We weren't always here. We didn't go about life the "biblical" way prior to being married. To be honest, our society throws out so many wacky ideas about relationships and marriage that we bought into. It's hard. Bad advice is everywhere. Social media makes it worse. I am SO glad that social media wasn't a thing when I was trying to navigate young adulthood. And, I am SO glad that we found our way to where we are now.
Another reason our marriage works is because of my husband. He is so patient, kind, and supportive to me. He had this partnership thing down way before I did. He always scoops my ice cream (even if he's not eating any), asks if I want "XYZ" too, and aims to achieve goals we've set. He's a super hard worker, but us three girls are his number one priority. He listens when I tell him that I need more quality time, and tells me to go pamper myself when I need a break. He truly knows the way to my heart, and I am so incredibly grateful that God gave me him.
The most important reason our marriage works, is because we make it a priority. We make it a priority to communicate with one another. Whether it's happy thoughts, sad thoughts, or goals, we share them with one another. It's not always easy to share, and it's definitely not always easy to hear, but we are committed to having a lasting marriage. When we have concerns, we discuss them with one another. This is key. We are far from perfect, and we definitely don't have everything figured out, but we both come from families of divorce, and we don't want that for our children. We love all of our bonus parents, but as kids, it was definitely tough to process and work through. So, we champion our marriage. As a matter of fact, if you're our friend, we champion your marriage too.
As we embark on our next 10 years of marriage, our goal is to continue to live a life of celebration with one another. We want our girls to see love in action. Not just our love for one another, but our love for Jesus as well. We want to encourage one another to be our best selves, which will roll into our marriage and family being at its best. We want to explore. We want to know each other deeply. We want to be a family that spreads joy. We want to encourage. We want you to come alongside of us and help us to continue on this amazing journey.

Cheers to another 10 years of faith, family, friends, & fun!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're teeing it up with a third!

On August 16th, 2013, we announced to all of our Facebook friends, that we are expecting our first child!  We couldn't be more excited!  If I'm being completely honest though, I am mildly terrified as well.  I'm not that "let's just see what happens" kind of gal.  I'm a planner.  I'm an observational learner.  I'm a realist.  I know that babies aren't all cooing and cuddlie with those cute faces moms catch in photos.  Don't get me wrong, they are those things, but they are also screaming without words (so you have no idea what they need), poop that escapes their diaper & goes halfway up their torso, & sleepless nights.  I think that's part of the reason we waited so long to try and conceive.  Babies are a whirlwind of change, and I needed to wait until I was old enough to except that challenge.  I know that some moms will see this and say, "It's different when they're your own child," or, "The screami

American Foursquare Renovation Before & After

Growing up, I attended private school in North Tacoma and completely romanticized the area. It has gorgeous views, amazing architecture, and just that classy old world charm. Fast forward to when I was in college and met my husband. I told him about all of the loveliness that North Tacoma offered, and aside from agreeing to get married there, he just didn't see it. When I said "North Tacoma," he saw "South Tacoma." For anyone that knows those two areas, they couldn't differ more. Over the past 10+ years, I have tried to win him over. Well guess what, I finally did! Together, with an investor, he snagged up this gem before I ever saw it. And when I walked in for the first time, I was all heart eyes. A classic American Foursquare, with that great foyer and staircase. Beautiful hardwoods throughout, and just charming. Obviously I was looking through my rose colored glasses, because even though the bones were great, she definitely needed a little sparkle and s

Baby Genius...

These are not my words. We do not personally call our daughter a "Baby Genius." To us, she is just our spunky one and a half year old that has brightened up this journey we call life. She is awesome, and we feel so blessed to be her parents. Other people. Other people have called her a "Baby Genius," and have asked what we've done to make her so smart. We are happy to share our daily routines and habits with you, but let's be real, each one of us is "fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:14), and that looks so different in each of our lives. Some of us are verbal communicators, some of us are physical communicators, some of us just plain don't like to communicate, and that goes for babies too. So, I will share with you what our life looks like right now, but please hear that I am not saying this is the perfect way, the best way, or the only way. We don't have any special credentials or degrees.What I am saying, is that this is our firs